COVID-19 Admissions Policies

Q: Is The University of Alabama open during the COVID-19 pandemic?

A: Yes. While we remain vigilant to protect our community during the evolving COVID-19 situation, most administrative offices remain open under limited business operations. Most office staff are working remotely, and all classes have shifted to online learning for Spring and Summer 2020 semesters. We are actively planning to have students on campus this fall.

For more information on UA’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic, visit

Q: Will program deadlines remain the same?

A: While most programs accept applications year-round, some programs have specific deadlines. Visit your program’s page to review application deadlines. If you still have questions, contact your Graduate Program Director.

Q: Is the application processing timeline the same?

A: Application processing continues on schedule. If you have questions about your application status, please contact your Graduate Program Director.

Q: Will the Graduate School still require grad exams?

A: Most graduate programs are waiving GRE, GMAT, MAT and MCAT score submissions for Spring, Summer and Fall 2021. Several are accepting Duolingo English exams in place of the TOEFL, IELTS or PTE. For a complete list of rules and exceptions, visit the COVID-19 Test Waiver page.

Q: What if I can’t take a required entrance test?

A: If you are applying to a graduate program that does require test scores but are unable to find a testing center, please contact your Graduate Program Director.

Q: Can I receive an application fee waiver for loss of income due to COVID-19?

A: Currently, The University of Alabama does not offer hardship fee waivers.

Prospective Students

Q. What is the application deadline for my program?

A: Visit The University of Alabama’s program page for deadline information. This page also lists program-specific application requirements. 

Q. How can I find my application status?

Summer and Fall 2021 applicants may check their application status by logging into the new UA Graduate School application status portal. If you have further questions, reach out to your admissions counselor.

Q: How can I contact my future professors?

A: To contact faculty, please contact your Graduate Program Director first.

Q: When will I learn if I have been accepted?

A: Timing of Admission decisions vary by program. You will be notified via email of any change in the status of your application. You may check with your Graduate Program Director for a status update.

Q: Are immunization records required for graduate school or online programs?

A: All on-campus students are required to provide an immunization record. For information on immunizations, visit the University Medical Center website.

Immunizations are not required for distance learning students.

Admitted Students

Q: How do I register for classes?

A: To enroll in classes, you must do the following:

  1. Log in to myBama.
  2. Select the ‘Academics’ tab on the right.
  3. Click the ‘Student Services’ folder from the Banner Self-Service directory (top-left).
  4. Open the ‘Registration’ folder, and select ‘Add or Drop Classes.’
  5. Select your enrollment term, choose your classes and submit your enrollment.

If you need assistance selecting classes, please contact the Graduate Program Director in your department/college.

For more in-depth enrollment resources, visit the UA Graduate School’s Getting Started page.

Q: What should I do if my official transcripts are unavailable right now?

A: Admitted students have six weeks from enrollment to provide their official transcripts. Applicants can submit unofficial transcripts for the application.

Q: When will I find out if I have received a scholarship, fellowship or assistantship?

A: Contact the Graduate Program Director in your department/college for more information about funding.

Q: Can I find an on-campus job?

A: Visit the UA Careers page for up-to-date job openings.

Q: Does UA offer assistance with finding housing?

A: UA Housing and Residential Communities has graduate student housing available at Bryce Lawn, located between Campus Drive and University Boulevard. There are also several student-friendly apartment complexes in Tuscaloosa, and The University of Alabama has limited temporary housing available at Highlands Apartments.

For more information on graduate student housing options, visit the UA Graduate School’s Getting Started page.

Q: Can I change my term of entry? If so, how?

A: If you would like to defer your application to another semester, contact your admissions counselor.

Still have questions?

Here are a few helpful links:

Ready to apply?

A world of possibilities awaits you at The University of Alabama. Make your mark today.