Letters of Recommendation
Some programs do not require letters of recommendation, especially for continuing students.
- Applicants should submit at least three (3) letters of recommendation as part of their graduate application. At least one letter should be from a professor in your undergraduate major or your proposed field of graduate study.
- Please provide an official email address for each recommender. The recommender will automatically receive an email with instructions on how to submit a recommendation letter online.
- Recommendations should be submitted before the application deadline.
Admission Test Scores
Most departments require an admission test score (i.e. GRE, GMAT, MAT). Graduate School does not require an admission test score if an applicant already has a graduate degree or at least 5 years of experience in a related field. Please check with your prospective program for exceptions to this policy. Applicants whose first language is not English are required to submit an English proficiency test score (i.e. TOEFL, IELTS). An exception is made if the applicant fulfills the following criteria: 1) has been in residence in the United States at a regionally accredited U.S. college or university, and 2) has been enrolled in coursework for two consecutive years immediately prior to enrolling at The University of Alabama or has earned a degree from that college or university within three years of enrolling at The University of Alabama.
Required minimum scores for admission:
- GRE (School Code-1830): 300 (total combined Verbal/Quantitative subscores)
- GMAT: 500 total converted score
- MAT (School Code-1012): 50th percentile
- TOEFL (School Code-1830): 79 (iBT) or 550 (pBT)
- IELTS: 6.5
- PTE: 59
If you do not meet these criteria, admission is possible at the discretion of individual programs.
For each institution of higher education (including community colleges) at which you have completed 15 or more credit hours, obtain an unofficial transcript and upload it during the application process. If you have an unusual grading scheme (not the typical A, B, C, etc), please include a grading key. Official transcripts should only be submitted after admission.
- If you upload a digital transcript obtained directly from your registrars office, please ensure that this file does not expire.
- You do not need to submit University of Alabama transcripts.
- If admitted, degree-seeking applicants will be required to request that official transcripts be sent directly from your institution(s) prior to enrollment. Electronic transcripts should be sent to email@example.com. Please see your letter of admission for details.