Which Payments are Processed Through the Graduate Stipend Administration and Reporting (G-STAR) System?
The Graduate Stipend Administration and Reporting (G-STAR) system is used to process student payments for fellowships, or other awards not associated with scholarships or compensation.This includes but is not limited to:
- Fellowship stipends
- Conference travel and research awards (where the activity was for the benefit of the student)
- Awards that are to be dispersed monthly
- Other expenses incurred for the benefit of the student as defined by the Student Payment Policy & Procedures at https://studentaccounts.ua.edu/payments-to-student-policy/
Which Payments are not Processed Through G-STAR?
G-STAR should not be used for scholarships, compensation, or to reimburse a student for University business expenses. Please follow use the systems below for these payments:
- Scholarships (awards based on academic merit) should be processed through the Alabama Scholarship Award System (ASAS).
- Compensation (payment for work performed) should be processed through Payroll via a Personnel Action Form (PA).
- Reimbursements for University business expenses should be paid through Concur.
What are the Minimum Registration Requirements for Students on Fellowships?
Please see the the Registration and Assistantships section of the Graduate Catalog.
When entering payments in G-STAR please use the following guidelines:
- For lump sum payment, please select the “Single Payment” option.
- For installment payments, please select the “Monthly payment” option.
Graduate and law student payments will be routed through the appropriate approval channels based on the FOAPAL provided. They will be reviewed and approved through G-STAR.
Payment will be scheduled as indicated in the system for each option and as follows:
- Single payment awards will be processed as soon as they have been approved and will appear on the student’s MyBama account according to Student Receivables’ payment schedule.
- Monthly payment awards will be processed for payment no later than the 26th day of each month covered by the award period (earlier where public holidays or weekends impact).
- Fall awards will be paid in 5 installments starting in August and ending in December.
- Spring awards will be paid in 4 installments starting January and ending in April.
- Summer awards will be paid in 3 installments starting May and ending in July.
- Awards sent to the Graduate School during the semester will be processed in equal installments over the number of months left in the period e.g. a spring award received in February will be paid in three equal installments in February, March, and April.
For monthly payment awards, the properly completed and approved form must be delivered to the Graduate School no later than the close of business listed in the Fellowships Payment Schedule in order for payment to be guaranteed by the month end.
NOTE: Where the award is paid from funds used for the first time to make graduate payments and no Banner detail code is set up, the user will request a new Banner detail code from the Student Account Services email@example.com . This may delay the processing and payment of the awards beyond regular schedules.
NOTE: For the academic year, A student must be or have been enrolled for the award period to receive the scholarship or award. If a student is selected for an award in a year subsequent to his or her last enrollment (e.g. Honors Day), and the student is not expected to return in the upcoming semester, then the award must be processed on a Miscellaneous Disbursement Voucher, and sent to the Accounts Payable office. Note on the MDV that the payment is for a non-enrolled student.
Submission Deadlines and Payment Dates 2022-23
The regular date for stipends to be applied to student accounts is set for around the 25th or 26th day of each month. This will assist students by ensuring that they have sufficient time to access available funds and deposit to a bank account before the end of each month. When this date falls on a weekend, payment will be made the preceding Friday.
|Deadline for submission of Payment Request Form to Graduate School
|Date when stipend is applied to Student Account
|Monday, August 21
|Friday, August 25
|Wednesday, September 20
|Tuesday, September 26
|Thursday, October 19
|Thursday, October 26
|**Wednesday, November 15
|Monday, November 20
|**Wednesday, December 13
|Monday, December 18
|Monday, January 22
|Friday, January 26
|Tuesday, February 20
|Monday, February 26
|Wednesday, March 20
|Tuesday, March 26
|Monday, April 22
|Friday, April 26
|Monday, May 20
|Friday, May 24
|Thursday, June 20
|Wednesday, June 26
|Monday, July 22
|Friday, July 26
PLEASE NOTE THE SPECIAL DEADLINES AND PAYMENT DATES FOR NOVEMBER AND DECEMBER 2022.
As shown on the fellowship award forms the regular date for stipends to be applied to student accounts is set for around the 25th or 26th day of each month. This will assist students by ensuring that they have sufficient time to access available funds and deposit to a bank account before the end of each month.
**In November, both submission deadline and payment dates are slightly earlier due to the Thanksgiving holiday.
*** In December, both submission deadline and payment dates are much earlier due to the UA Christmas closures.
All awards must be submitted to the Graduate School by the close of business on the deadlines listed above for payment to be guaranteed by the month end. This means that any forms which require additional approvals – especially Contract & Grant funded fellowships – MUST be submitted to the Contract & Grant Accounting Office before that date for them to approve and submit the forms to us by the deadline. This also includes any changes or updates for any award already in place, these must also be received in this office by the deadline for each month.
This office will not be responsible for ensuring that students get paid on time if you do not submit the forms by the appropriate deadline.