All admissions decisions are tailored to each student, based on their entire application. Your prospective academic department will evaluate your completed application.
While this page outlines minimum requirements, not every applicant who meets the minimum is guaranteed admission. If your GPA and/or test scores are lower than recommended, you may still be considered for admission at your prospective program’s discretion.
If you have specific questions about your application, contact your academic program.
To be considered for regular admission to the Graduate School, you must have at least one of the following grade point averages (GPAs), on a 4.0 scale:
- An overall 3.0 GPA.
- A 3.0 GPA in any prior graduate program that you may have completed.
Transcripts using a different grading scale will be evaluated and converted to a 4.0 scale by the Graduate School.
Some programs, but not all, require applicants to submit a standardized test score (for example, GRE, GMAT, etc.). To see if your program has a test score requirement, please check the Program Portal.
English Language Proficiency Scores
If you are a non-native English speaker, you may be required to submit an English language score report. For more information, visit International Admissions.
You must upload a legible transcript or mark sheet for each college/university attended (including community colleges) at which you earned at least 15 semester hours of coursework. Your application will be evaluated based on these documents. University of Alabama transcripts do not need to be uploaded.
Final official transcripts with all degrees and certifications earned, which must be sent directly from the institution to The Graduate School (email@example.com), will not be required until after admission. If your institutions cannot send electronic transcripts, please request that they send paper transcripts to one of the following addresses:
Graduate School, The University of Alabama
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0118
Express Mail or Courier:
Graduate School, The University of Alabama
Suite 100 Rose Administration Building, 801 University Boulevard Tuscaloosa, AL 35487
- If you upload a digital transcript obtained directly from your registrar’s office, make sure the file does not expire on a particular date.
- Please provide a key if your institution uses a grading scheme other than letter grades.
- Evaluations from credentialing services are not necessary.
- If your transcript or mark sheet is in a language other than English, please submit a certified word-for-word translation in the application portal.
- Transcripts from The University of Alabama do not need to be submitted.
Letters of Recommendation
If letters of recommendation are required by your academic program, you will need to provide the email addresses of up to three recommenders as part of your application. The recommenders will then receive a request to upload a letter on your behalf. Contact your academic department if you have questions regarding the selection of your recommenders.
We accept Interfolio letters. Visit the Interfolio Help Center for instructions on how to submit letters to The University of Alabama.
Application fees are nonrefundable and must be paid with each application submission. To avoid delays in processing, please pay your fee promptly.
- $65 for U.S. citizens and permanent residents.
- $80 for international students.
To pay the application fee if you have not already done so:
- Return to the application portal to log in.
- Select the application for which you want to pay the fee and enter your payment information on the payment screen.
- Veterans and current members of the U.S. military. To qualify, you must submit your DD 214 or current assignment orders with your application.
- Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program students. To qualify, please upload a letter from your McNair director.
- National Name Exchange participants
- Applicants previously enrolled in Graduate School at The University of Alabama.
- UA undergraduates applying to the same program at the graduate level. To qualify, you must apply for the next available semester and have an overall 3.0 GPA.
- UA TRIO students.
- Eligible GEM Fellowship applicants (must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident).
- UAH and UAB exchange students.
For questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Statement of Purpose
Statement of purpose requirements vary among programs. Please refer to the program portal for your academic program’s requirements.
Please see the program portal for your program’s deadline. We strongly encourage you to apply well before the deadline, especially if you are seeking financial support.
To allow time for visa processing, international applicants should complete their application at least six months before the beginning of their first semester.
To apply to The University of Alabama Graduate School, you must hold the equivalent of a U.S. four-year bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. You must also meet all requirements and program-specific requirements.
We consider many three-year degrees to be equivalent to a U.S. four-year degree.
For more information, visit our International Students page.
READY TO APPLY?
A world of possibilities awaits you at The University of Alabama. Make your mark today.