The University of Alabama’s Accelerated Master’s Program (AMP) can help you meet your goal of earning a graduate degree while saving time and cutting costs. Through AMP, you take courses that count simultaneously toward your undergraduate and graduate programs. Once admitted, you can be approved to take up to 15 hours of graduate courses that will count towards both your Bachelor’s and graduate degrees. This can shorten the time it takes to earn your master’s degree by up to one year. Upon completion, you enter the job market with increased earnings potential and set yourself apart as a candidate with high-level critical thinking and problem-solving skills. NOTE: Applicants must have earned 90 or more credit hours and have a minimum GPA of 3.3 to be considered for admission. Requirements vary by program. Please refer to the table below for participating programs and specific requirements. You may start AMP once you have earned 90 or more undergraduate hours. Typically, this would mean that you will apply to the Graduate School in the final semester of your junior year. At the time of application, you must have an overall undergraduate grade point average of no less than 3.3 in all courses (or higher if required by the program). Many programs require a higher GPA for admission and/or do not permit the full 15 hours to dual-count (see table). Permission to take graduate courses will be granted by the Graduate School if you have met the criteria above as well as other minimum requirements for graduate admission. Upon admission to the Graduate School, you will begin a program of study leading to a master’s or doctoral degree, as approved by your department and by the dean of the Graduate School. It is advised that as a prospective AMP student, you meet with the Graduate Program Director for your prospective AMP program at the beginning of your junior year. Programs may have specific coursework requirements and graduate class prerequisites for which you must be prepared.
Department Degree Dual-counted Hours Admission Test Score Waiver Minimum GPA
Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics MS 12 Yes 3.3
Advertising and Public Relations MA 12 No 3.3
American Studies MA 15 No 3.3
Anthropology MA 15 No 3.75
Biological Sciences MS 15 No 3.5
Chemical and Biological Engineering MS 15 Yes 3.3
Chemical and Biological Engineering PhD 15 Yes 3.3
Chemistry MS 15 No 3.5
Civil and Environmental Engineering MS 9 Yes 3.3
Communication Studies MA 10 GPA >= 3.7 3.3
Computer Science MS 12 Yes 3.3
Consumer Sciences MS 15 Yes 3.3
Criminal Justice MA 9 No 3.3
Curriculum and Instruction: Secondary Education MA with BS Math/Physics 15 No 3.3
Economics, Finance, and Legal Studies : Economics -Commerce and Business Admin MA 15 No 3.3
Economics, Finance, and Legal Studies : Economics – Arts and Sciences MA 15 No 3.3
Economics, Finance, and Legal Studies: Finance MS 12 No 3.3
English MA 15 No 3.5
Electrical and Computer Engineering MS 6 Yes 3.3
Geography MS 15 No 3.5
Geological Sciences MS 15 No 3.5
History MA 15 No 3.75
Human Development and Family Studies MS 15 No 3.3
Human Nutrition and Hospitality Management: Food Nutrition Specialty MS 15 Yes 3.5
Information Systems, Statistics & Management Science: Applied Statistics MS with Math BS 12 No 3.3
Information Systems, Statistics & Management Science: Operations Management MS 15 (12 for the Enterprise Integration track) No 3.4
Journalism MA 12 No 3.5
Marketing MS 12 Yes 3.5
Mathematics MA 12 Yes 3.75
Mechanical Engineering MS 9 Yes 3.3
Mechanical Engineering PhD 9 Yes 3.3
Metallurgical & Materials Engineering MS 9 Yes 3.3
Modern Languages and Classics: French MA 12 No 3.3
Modern Languages and Classics: German MA 12 Yes 3.3
Physics & Astronomy: Physics MS 15 No 3.3
Political Science MA 15 No 3.3
Political Science MPA 15 No 3.75
Political Science PhD 15 No 3.75